Acorn Plasma CNC THC Control: a closed loop DIY Torch Height Controller (THC) kit
Acorn Plasma CNC THC control kits are both a CNC Hardware and CNC Software DIY system designed to work together for easy CNC setup and operation with minimal fuss.
Centroid announces that now our Plasma THC is now compatible with the PrimeWeld Cut 60 and the Everlast i and s series CNC plasma cutters (in addition to Hypertherm, Lincoln, and Thermal Dynamics). Centroid is now offering a Plasma CNC and THC kit for the Cut 60 and the Everlast units. Available now for purchase below.
- Centroid Acorn CNC controller kit (#14455) includes:
- 1x Acorn CNC control board
- 1x Acorn Plug and Play Relay8 Module
- 1x Dual power 5 VDC and 24 VDC logic power supply
- 50/60 Hz 100-120 VAC/208-240 VAC input power
- 1x Logic power supply hookup leads
- 1x 110 VAC power cord
- 1x 15’ Shielded Ethernet cable
- 1x Plexi Acorn Cover
- 4x 6-32x3/4" Standoffs for Acorn Cover
- 4x 6-32x3/8" Screws for Acorn Cover
- Additional Acorn highlights:
(Note: A 1920x1080 wide screen LCD Display is required and a Touch Screen is recommended.)
Email and Phone orders are also accepted.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-353-9256 ext 122
M-F 9-5 EST to place your orders.
- Centroid Acorn THC controller kit (part # 15149, 15321, 15322) includes:
- 1x THC TX control board
- 1x THC RX control board
- 1x 5' Fiber Optic Cable (TX to RX connection)
- 1x 12" Shielded Serial Cable M/F Straight ( RX-to-Acorn connection)
- Note: 18" and 36" can be purchased here
- 1x Din Rail Mount 24 volt power supply
Centroid's Torch Height Controller closes the loop between Plasma Arc Voltage and Torch Height via high-speed fiber optic communication.
The Centroid Acorn THC kit provides real-time closed loop operation between the arc voltage and the torch height. The THC reads the arc voltage and sends that information to the Acorn controller via fiber optic isolation to Acorn's high-speed encoder port.
Part #15322 for PrimeWeld Cut60 and #15321 for Everlast i/s series include the special Centroid "CNC" cable from the Cutter to the Centroid THC Kit
- Acorn CNC controller kit (Acorn requirements are here)
- An Acorn CNC12 Plasma Pro software license
- Acorn "Start Here" Web Page with requirements and How-to Videos.
- All Acorn Documentation(a list of All Acorn related documentation)
- Acorn CNC controller Hookup Schematics(type in "Plasma" in the search bar on this page to see all Acorn Plasma hookup schematics)
- Acorn CNC Plasma Installation Manual
- Acorn Hardware and Software Installation manual.
- Plasma CNC12 software download.(Note: CNC12 installation instructions are in the Acorn Installation Manual
- Plasma Intercon Download 5.0 version here.
- Centroid CNC control board Solid Models
- Acorn Control Panel options
- Centroid CNC Community Plasma Tech Support Forum (Free Tech Support!)
- Acorn CNC controller buyers FAQ
- Acorn Warranty Info
- CNCPC Requirements
- On board 1Ghz Motion Control CPU
- Plasma software with setup Wizard
- Touch screen operators control panel (user configurable VCP)
- Reliable Ethernet communication with CNCPC
- Runs on Windows 10 or 11
- Compatible with CAD/CAM systems
- Float Head support
- Breakaway head support
- Ohmic sensor support
- Conductive Torch Tip support
- Laser XY zero set
- Scribe support
- Closed Loop Torch Height Controller
- Runs Standard G & M Codes
- True G-code back plot
- 2000 line accell decell look ahead
- 1200 blocks per second
- Backlash compensation
- Ballscrew compensation
- Feed rate override operator variable 0-200% at 1% increments
- Rapid rate override
- Target Voltage override
- Spindle Control. on/off cw/cw, speed w/override
- 8 optically isolated inputs, user configurable
- 8 Relay Outputs, user configurable
- DB25 drive connection for stepper motors.
- Gecko G540/Mach3 standard pin out AND programmable pin out on DB25
- Screw Terminal for AC motor/drive connections
- Single 24 vdc logic power input
- Target Voltage Display
- Simple Menu Driven Operator Interface
- Stop and Restart Job at any point
- Torch Check, Jog and Restart at any point
- Lube Pump control (user configurable to match pump type)
- MDI mode with recent command memory
- Programmable Auxiliary Function keys
- Multiple Language Support
- User editable PLC programming
- Part counter, Time, Time estimation
- Simple Future Software updates available
- Notepad ++ G code editor
- Utility Menu
- Backup and Restore CNC config
- Message Display and Logs
- Open Loop CNC operation
- Unlimited Program Storage (Pro License, only limited by hard drive size)
- Large easy to read DRO display
- Menu Driven Part setup
- Menu Driven Tool setup
- Menu driven machine configuration setup
- Fill in the blank Setup Menus
- Run Menu
- CNC control configuration menu
- Restart Job Automatically
- Any axis can be linear or rotary axis
- G-code smoothing (user adjustable)
- Auto Home to switch, user selectable direction per axis
- Auto Parking, User editable
- ZRI input homing
- User editable Homing program
- Software Travel Limits (+ and - directions)
- User configurable Slow, Fast, Max rates
- User configurable axis motor acceleration
- Spindle encoder input Plasma Torch Voltage Feedback
- Dry Run
- User editable Park program
- Wireless MPG control pendant (Pro license required)
- Keyboard Operator Control panel emulator,
- Xkeys USB control pad compatible
- Contour ShuttleXpress compatible
- Xbox controller compatible
- Gcode backplot checks work envelope
- G code backplot shows true cutter comp moves
- Vary part backplot speed and pause w/ G-code line display
- Real Time Part Graphics, shows tool position while running
- Optional Stops
- User editable Subprograms and Macros
- Engraving compatible (short vector g code no problem)
- Run in Inch or MM mode
- Laser cutting and engraving support
- PWM output control for Laser and/or Spindle
- Long part names
- USB and Network Drive Compatible
- Distance to go DRO
- Machine Coordinates DRO
- Active G codes display
- Software or Hardware paired axes
- Auto Squaring of paired axis Gantry
- Reset Home
- Control relays and contactors thru Manual or Program control
- User configurable custom DIY M-codes
- Canned Cycles
- X/Y axis Deskew, corrects for axes out of square.
- Mouse and Keyboard jogging in addition to VCP, MPG Pendant and Xkeys pendant, Contour Shuttle
- Runs on 100-120 VAC OR 200-240 VAC power input.
- Runs on USA and International Power
- Can I use a non Hypertherm Powermax Plasma cutter with the Centroid THC?
- Yes. Currently the Acorn THC supports Hypertherm Powermax Plasma units, and Lincoln Flex Cut, PrimeWeld Cut 60 and Everlast CNC i series units.. We will add other manufactures plasma units to a compatibility list in the future. For now, Acorn Plasma THC is supported with a Hypertherm Powermax XP and SYNC Plasma or Lincoln Flex Cut cutters, Everlast i series , the Prime Weld Cut 60 with the Centroid Prime Weld Cable!
- Can I use a non THC supported Plasma cutters with the Centroid Acorn Plasma Software?
- Yes. For applications that do not require a THC but want to take advantage of the Plasma CNC software. (Note: In the future Oxy/Flame specific features will be added as well.)
- Does the Centroid THC work with other CNC controllers?
- No. The Centroid THC is designed to work with the Acorn CNC Controller using the Acorn's high speed serial port for real time Torch Voltage Feedback.
- Can I use the Acorn Plasma CNC12 software to cut parts without the THC kit installed?
- Can I use a 3rd party Ohmic Sensor/Isolator?
- Can I use a Round Mount?
- Yes, Round Mounts perform two duties, The Float Head Torch Touch off sensor and a Breakaway/Collision Sensor.
- Can I use a Floating Head?
- Yes, Floating Heads and switches are supported.
- Can I use a Magnetic Breakaway Head?
- Yes, We recommend Magnetic Breakaway Torch Mounts (and they can be used in conjunction with a Floating Head (slide)).
- Can I use a Floating Head in combination with Ohmic/conductive Torch Tip?
- Can I use a Floating Head that has Breakaway switch built into it?
- Does the Centroid THC work with the Oak and Allin1DC CNC Controllers?
- No. Not at this time.
- Do I have to Home the machine to use it?
- No. Setting up and using Auto Homing is recommended but not necessary to use the machine.
- How do I create part programs?
- Centroid Intercon Plasma conversational software (now in beta) and most any CAD/CAM system designed for Plasma use can generate Centroid Plasma G code. We are using SheetCam for our in house jobs. Here is a link to download the Centroid Acorn SheetCam Post processor that we are using.
- Can I use a Laser dot or cross hair to set a start point?
- Can I use a scribe to mark the material instead of cutting it?
- This feature will be added after our initial public beta release and will be a free software upgrade
- Can I run the part program without the Torch running?
- Yes. select the "Dry Run" button to run the job with the Torch Off.
- Can I use a 3rd party THC (non Centroid) with Acorn?
- No. We do not support other manufactures THC's.
- Where can i get help and tech support?
- Free online Plasma Tech Support Forum. Centroid owns this forum, maintains, monitors and contributes to it daily. Here is the link.
- Is the software license file a subscription?
- No. A Plasma Pro software license is tied to the Acorn board itself and is a one time purchase.
- Can I install my Acorn CNC12 Plasma Pro License on another PC?
- Yes. A Plasma Pro software license is tied to the Acorn board itself NOT the PC. This allows for easy DIY upgrade or replacement of the PC without having to get a new license file.
- Can I use my old laptop to run the Acorn Plasma CNC controller?
- Laptops are not recommended. The CNC PC must meet or exceed the minimum CNC PC requirements for CNC12, most important is the CPU core speed rating for one core, this is called the 'single core benchmark' see this page for more information on the PC requirements for the Acorn CNC system.
Centroid Plasma CNC Software License Upgrades
- Plasma WMPG-4 Kit (#9558) includes:
- 1x Plasma WMPG-4 Wireless MPG pendant
- 1x USB Wireless Transmitter / Receiver
- 1x Mounting Bracket
Take the control to where the work is! A game changing tool, the Centroid Wireless MPG handwheel CNC Control pendant allows the operator to conveniently and precisely set up jobs and tools remotely. No software or drivers to install. Plug and Play with Centroid CNC12 Plasma Pro CNC software, just plug in the included USB transmitter/receiver and start using it!
• Restart Mode, Jog Forward and Backward along the cutter path!
• Laser XY position set
• Use the MPG Wheel to Jog the machine for any kind of positioning.
• Smooth motion
• Sensitivity of the wheel detents are adjusted by the x1,x10,x100 selector.
• Use the MPG Wheel to control the cutting Feedrate on the fly.
• Use the MPG Wheel to control the Target Voltage on the fly.
• 4 axis DRO display
• 4 axis MPG and continuous jogging control
• Robust wireless communication
• No software drivers to install
• Hanger bracket mount w/ magnets
• Long range wireless
• Robust CENTROID developed drivers
• Takes 2 AA batteries, run time approximate 1 month
• USB Plug and Play Transmitter / Receiver
• Rubber case protector
• Tactile Feedback domed buttons w/ gold contacts
• High quality 3M Overlay
Requirements for use with Acorn
- Acorn CNC12 v4.64+ w/ Mill Pro, Mill Ultimate, Lathe Pro, Lathe Ultimate , Plasma Pro, or Plasma Ultimate License
Oak, Allin1DC and MPU11 system Requirements
- CNC12 v4.20+ with Pro or Ultimate License
Centroid Acorn Plasma CNC Software Levels
Acorn Plasma Free v5.04+
Acorn Plasma Pro v5.04+
Acorn Plasma Ultimate v5.04+
|Auto Conductive/Ohmic Torch Touch Off||Included||Included||Included|
|Auto Float Head Torch Touch Off||Included||Included||Included|
|Breakaway/Collision Switch Torch Protection||Included||Included||Included|
|Real Time Closed Loop Torch Height||Included||Included||Included|
|Laser Zero Position Set||Included||Included||Included|
|Material Profile Manager||Included||Included||Included|
|Target Voltage Override||Included||Included||Included|
|Target Voltage Smart Sense||Included||Included||Included|
|Edit or Create new Material Profiles||Included||Included||Included|
|Real Time Voltage Display||Included||Included||Included|
|Auto and Manual Homing||Included||Included||Included|
|Wireless MPG Pendant support||Not included||Included||Included|
|G-code program size||Limited to 50Kb G-code file size||Unlimited G-code file size||Unlimited G-code file size|
|Work Coordinates Systems (WCS)||One (G54)||Six (G54-G59)||Eighteen (G54-G59 plus extended WCS)|
|Auto Torch Touch Off||Included||Included||Included|
|Coordinate System Rotation||Manual||Manual||Automatic and Manual|
|Sub Programs and Macros (M98 & G65) Write your own custom marcos, many uses||Included||Included||Included|
|Screw compensation (laser or manual!)||Included||Included||Included|
|Any axis can be Linear or Rotary||Included||Included||Included|
|G-code backplot graphics||Included||Included||Included|
|Run Time Program Graphics||Included||Included||Included|
|User Configurable Touch Screen Virtual Control Panel||Included||Included||Included|
|CNC Configuration Wizard||Included||Included||Included|
|Operate in Millimeter or Inches||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|XY Diagonal Jogging||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|4th axis Jogging||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Software Axis Pairing (pair 4th axis any other axis in software)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Squaring of Software Paired axis with auto homing||No||Yes||Yes|
|Hardware Axis Pairing||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|4th axis G-code moves: 4&1,4&2,4&3,4&1&2,4&2&3,4&1&3&4, 4&1&2&3||No, "Free" is limited to 3 axis simultaneous moves with single axis 4th axis moves.||Yes, 4 axis simultaneous movement with full interpolation. (move any axis in combination with any others)||Yes, 4 axis simultaneous movement with full interpolation. (move any axis in combination with any others)|
|CNC Setup Wizard with auto PLC program generation||Included||Included||Included|
|PLC Detective Software||Included||Included||Included|
|Use one input for all axis Homing||Included||Included||Included|
|Contour ShuttleXpress Support||Included||Included||Included|
|Xkeys, Xbox and other USB keyboard emulator support||Included||Included||Included|
|PWM output for Laser power||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|PWM output for Spindle speed control||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Laser power Velocity modulation||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|0-5 VDC or 0-10 VDC analog output||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Plasma Intercon Conversational programming (Currently in Beta)||Limited to 20 blocks of conversational||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Offline Version of Plasma Intercon Conversational programming||No||No||Yes|
|Intercon "Teach" Mode (Currently in Beta)||Limited to 20 blocks of Intercon||Unlimited||Unlimited|
Centroid Acorn Plasma CNC controller, Torch Height Control (THC), and software overview
DIY Plasma Breakthrough! Centroid Plasma CNC control with the PrimeWeld Cut 60 Plasma cutter
Everlast 62 i PowerPlasma Cutter now compatible with the Centroid Plasma CNC controller
Centroid Acorn Plasma Feature Highlights
Closed Loop THC: Real time closed loop operation between the Arc Voltage and the Torch Height. Fiber Optic Isolation. PID THC control.
Restart Mode: Restart any where along the contour of the part. Backup and/or move forward along the part contour. Restart anywhere. Simple Jog off anywhere along part contour to restart with a lead in. Fast and easy.
Torch Check: Change or Check consumables in middle of the job and restart anywhere.
Dry Run: Run the part program without the Torch and THC on.
Smart Sense: Auto Senses Target voltage during beginning of cut and then maintains the measured TV throughout the rest of the cut
Material Profile Manager: A tested library of plasma settings for common materials and thickness. Choose the Material and Cut. Edit any profile, Create your own profiles. Copy profiles to any other Acorn Plasma equipped machine. Use same part program with any thickness material no need to repost part program from CAD/CAM to cut another thickness metal.
Advanced THC Anti Dive controls: Fine adjustment controls over how the THC behaves. Tested default settings provided but are editable by the user if necessary to fine tune the machine.
Plasma Smoothing: A Centroid exclusive this Plasma Cutting feature produces better cuts with less dross.
User editable Operator Control Panel: This feature allows Users, Rebuilders and OEM's alike a straight forward way to change the look, feel and function of the Virtual Control Panel.
Feedrate and Target Voltage Override controls: On the fly override of both Target Voltage and Feedrate via the VCP and/or the Wireless MPG knob.
Wireless MPG operator control: High performance wireless control pendant with large MPG Wheel for positioning the torch, setting zeros, overriding Feedrate and Target Voltage also has 4 programmable buttons for individualized operator convenience setup controls. Centroid Firmware sets this unit above the rest. Brings a nice work flow improvement to the machine operator with this handy reliable tool.
Auto Torch Touch Off: Compatible with Conductive, Ohmic, Round Mounts and Floating Heads. Conductive/Ohmic can be used in conjunction Float Head/Switch and/or Breakaway Head/Switches. Easy drag and drop for Float Head and Breakaway setup menus in the Acorn Plasma setup Wizard, Auto Float Head offset distance compensation.
Built in Conversational Programming: Program plasma parts with or without a CAD drawing with Centroid's Intercon Plasma. Lines, Arcs, Squares, Circles, Rectangles, Kerf offset, Auto lead in/out, auto connect radius, Mirror, Rotate, Repeat, Teach Mode, DXF in, DXF out, now available in beta and included with the Plasma CNC12 installation.
Made in USA: The Acorn Plasma system was engineered, built, and tested at our Centroid facility in the USA. Robust design, Rigorous testing = Years of trouble free operation. CNC Software and Hardware designed to work together. All units ship ready to run after thorough quality control and testing.
- Use the same part program to cut different thickness and types of metals
- Large library of tested Plasma Material Profiles included
- Edit any profile
- Rename any profile
- Create your own custom profiles
- Share Profiles with others
- Easy copy and use profiles on any other Acorn Plasma equipped machine
- Simple Part Program G codes are easy to understand
- Eliminates need for complicated post processors and complicated G codes
- Compatible with most any Plasma CAD/CAM system
CNC Plasma Aluminum cutting with Auto Torch Height Controller
Compatible with Hypertherm PowerMax/SYNC, PrimeWeld Cut60, Everlast CNC i series, Lincoln Flex Cut series
Acorn Plasma FAQ's
1.) Can I use a non Hypertherm Powermax Plasma cutter with the Centroid THC? Answer: Yes. Currently the Acorn THC supports Hypertherm Powermax Plasma units, and Lincoln Flex Cut, PrimeWeld Cut 60 and Everlast CNC i series units.. We will add other manufactures plasma units to a compatibility list in the future. For now, Acorn Plasma THC is supported with a Hypertherm Powermax XP and SYNC Plasma or Lincoln Flex Cut cutters, Everylast i series , the Prime Weld Cut 60 with the Centroid Prime Weld Cable!
2.) Can I use a non THC supported Plasma cutters with the Centroid Acorn Plasma Software? Answer: Yes. For applications that do not require a THC but want to take advantage of the Plasma CNC software. (Note: In the future Oxy/Flame specific features will be added as well.)
3.) Does the Centroid THC work with other CNC controllers? Answer: No. The Centroid THC is designed to work with the Acorn CNC Controller using the Acorn's high speed serial port for real time Torch Voltage Feedback.
4.) Can I use the Acorn Plasma CNC12 software to cut parts without the THC kit installed? Yes.
5.) Can I use a 3rd party Ohmic Sensor/Isolator? Answer: Yes
6.) Can I use a Round Mount? Answer: Yes, Round Mounts perform two duties, The Float Head Torch Touch off sensor and a Breakaway/Collision Sensor.
7.) Can I use a Floating Head? Answer: Yes, Floating Heads and switches are supported.
8.) Can I use a Magnetic Breakaway Head? Answer: Yes, We recommend Magnetic Breakaway Torch Mounts (and they can be used in conjunction with a Floating Head (slide)).
9.) Can I use a Floating Head in combination with Ohmic/conductive Torch Tip? Answer: Yes
10.) Can I use a Floating Head that has Breakaway switch built into it? Answer: Yes
11.) Does the Centroid THC work with the Oak and Allin1DC CNC Controllers? Answer: No. Not at this time.
12.) Do I have to Home the machine to use it? Answer: No. Setting up and using Auto Homing is recommended but not necessary to use the machine.
13.) How do I create part programs? Answer: Centroid Intercon Plasma conversational software (now in beta) and most any CAD/CAM system designed for Plasma use can generate Centroid Plasma G code. We are using SheetCam for our in house jobs. Here is a link to download the Centroid Acorn SheetCam Post processor that we are using.
14.) Can I use a Laser dot or cross hair to set a start point? Answer: Yes
15.) Can I use a scribe to mark the material instead of cutting it? Answer: This feature will be added after our initial public beta release and will be a free software upgrade
16.) Can I run the part program without the Torch running? Answer: Yes. select the "Dry Run" button to run the job with the Torch Off.
17.) Can I use a 3rd party THC (non Centroid) with Acorn? Answer: No. We do not support other manufactures THC's.
18.) Where can i get help and tech support? Answer: Free online Plasma Tech Support Forum. Centroid owns this forum, maintains, monitors and contributes to it daily. Here is the link.
19.) Is the software license file a subscription? Answer: No. A Plasma Pro software license is tied to the Acorn board itself and is a one time purchase.
20.) Can I install my Acorn CNC12 Plasma Pro License on another PC? Answer: Yes. A Plasma Pro software license is tied to the Acorn board itself NOT the PC. This allows for easy DIY upgrade or replacement of the PC without having to get a new license file.
21.) Can I use my old laptop to run the Acorn Plasma CNC controller? Answer: Laptops are not recommended. The CNC PC must meet or exceed the minimum CNC PC requirements for CNC12, most important is the CPU core speed rating for one core, this is called the 'single core benchmark' see this page for more information on the PC requirements for the Acorn CNC system.
Acorn CNC control kit unboxing video
- All-in-one Touch Screen CNCPC (#15021,15022) Features:
- - Pre-loaded with Windows 10/11
- - Pre-configured for CNC PC duty
- - Pre-loaded with Centroid CNC software
- G code Editor
- Stock PLC programs
- Touch Screen Operator Control panel
- Acorn Install Wizard
- - Touch Screen
- - Wifi, Ethernet, webcam with mic, card reader, USB ports
- - Powercord, Keyboard, Mouse
- - Centroid tested and pre-qualified to work with Centroid CNC controllers
- Model, Specifications and COLOR may vary.
- There are NO VESA mounting holes on this unit.
The Centroid ALLIN1PC comes pre-configured for CNC Duty. It's ready to use and communicate with our Controls. The PCs run Windows 10/11 and are equipped with a Touchscreen. Product may vary from image.
Planning to build or use your own PC as a CNCPC?
Be sure the PC meets the Centroid CNCPC minimum requirements found here.
The latest Centroid CNC software requires a Windows 10/11 PC that meets the requirements.
Laptops are not recommended. Tablets are not compatible.
The minimum CPU performance benchmark is critical for good Plasma Performance. Mobile processors are not compatible.
- If you plan to build your own CNCPC follow the recommendations here.
- If you plan to buy your own PC we recommend the Intel NUC (be sure to purchase a NUC that meets the Centroid minimum pc requirements) and a 1920x1080 16:9 aspect Touch Screen monitor
- Centroid also offers for purchase CNCPC's with preloaded and pre configured software see below.
- Centroid NUC CNCPC kit (#15024,#15023) includes:
- 1x Intel NUC
- 1x 100-240 VAC power brick
- 1x Pre-installed and pre-configured SSD
- w/ Windows 10/11
- w/ CNC12
- Centroid NUC CNCPC Features:
- - Use a LCD monitor (regular or Touch screen) , 1920x1080 recommended
- - Preloaded with a licensed copy of Windows 10/11 and Windows is pre-configured for CNC PC duty
- - Preloaded Centroid CNC12 software Mill, Router, Lathe and Plasma Free version
- - Preconfigured with Centroid Software
- - Pre configured Notepad ++ G code Editor
- - Mill, Lathe, Plasma Intercon Conversational
- - Centroid CNC setup Wizard
- - Touch Screen Operator Control compatible
- - Intel processor and SSD (solid state drive)
- - Display port, HDMI, Ethernet, USB
- - Powercord, Keyboard, Mouse
- - Centroid tested and pre-qualified to work with Centroid CNC controllers
- - Use a LCD monitor (regular or Touch screen) , 1920x1080 recommended
- Model, Specifications and COLOR may vary.
- Ether1616 I/O Expansion Kit (#14850) includes:
- 1x Ether1616 Board
- 2x Relay 8 Modules
- 2x Keyed Ribbon Cables
- 1x 24 volt DC power supply
- 50/60 Hz 100-120 VAC/208-240 VAC input power
- 1x Ethernet Switch
- 2x 15’ Shielded Ethernet cable
- 4x 220 Ohm SIP resistors for 5 volt input
- 4x 1k Ohm SIP resistors for 12 volt input
The Ether1616 is an input and output expansion board designed to be used with the Acorn CNC controller. Each Ether1616 board adds an additional 16 optically isolated inputs and 16 relay isolated outputs to the Acorn CNC system, up to three Ether1616 boards can be added to an Acorn system for a total of 56 inputs and 56 outputs. Three different input voltages can be used: 5 volts, 12 volts and 24 volt. Input voltages are mix and match capable and are selectable via bank of four of inputs at a time with the provided plug-in SIP (Single In-line Pack) resistors. The default input voltage is 24 VDC.
Both the Ether1616 and Relay 8 modules provide both Din Rail mounting holes and Standoff mounting holes to allow the DIY installer a wide variety of mounting possibilities!
The provided dedicated power supply is sized properly to provide enough power to drive the 16 relays. There are indicator LED’s on Ether1616 Inputs and on the Relay 8 Modules that indicate the state of the Inputs and Outputs.
The Ether1616 as the name implies communicates with the Centroid CNC12 software via Ethernet connection to the CNC PC. Ether1616 documentation is here.
Requirements for use with Acorn
- CNC12 V.4.20+
- Emergency Stop Button (#14534) includes:
- 1x E-Stop Button
- Industrial quality reliable Emergency Stop Button with two switches.
- Two contact closures for two estop circuits
- Use just one contact closure or use both
- For use with the Acorn, Allin1dc and Oak CNC control boards.
- Thru Hole Panel Mount
- Centroid Plasma Offline INTERCON (#15100) Features:
- - For those that do not want to use or learn a CAD/CAM system to make CNC parts.
- - Program parts in the comfort of your office.
- - Program while the machine is running a job.
- - Easy part program transfer from your PC to the control via LAN or USB.
- - True G-code backplot graphics, see exactly what the machine toolpath will be.
- - Use on the same PC as your CAD system.
- - A USB Keylock allows user to install software on as many computers as they want.
- - Offline programming USB keylock is shipped the next business day.
- - Works with Windows 7/8/10/11*
- - Download Plasma offline conversational programming software here
The offline programming software runs without USB keylock but limited to 20 lines of Intercon. Plug in the USB keylock for unlimited conversational programming operation.
If you are purchasing a new Acorn kit, you do not need to purchase this item.
The Acorn Relay Board Kit (#14734) Includes:
1x Acorn “8 Relay Module”
1x Ribbon Cable
$120.00 – $360.00
Professional experienced Centroid CNC control engineers will work with you to configure your CNC machine tool.
Centroid Factory Direct Technical Support is provided through Phone, E-mail, and the preferred and most effective method is remote support via TeamViewer.
After Purchasing Technical Support Fill out this Support Request form.
Then, Please call to schedule a one-on-one CNC Tech Support appointment. +1-814-353-9256 press 4. Mon-Fri 9-5 EST
Have your TeamViewer ID and password ready. See this forum post for how to setup Teamviewer.
The CNC Engineer will ask you for detailed Photos of the machine tool and of the control cabinet as photos are worth a thousand words. The best way to provide photos is to post them to a online photo album and send the link to the album to email@example.com (Google photos is free and the preferred method.)
Tech Support Time is non-refundable, we will keep track of tech support time used and any unused time will remain in our system for future Tech Support Calls
Centroid Acorn CNC Plasma Gallery
Centroid Acorn CNC controller reviews
Next, the forum along with YouTube videos are great. Keith, Marty, Gary and Franco not only show how to use the Acorn, but teach general principles about CNC machining. Late last night when I couldn't sleep, I watched a video where Keith showed how to use a vertical mill. The video contained everything that anyone would need to see how to use Centroid products to make their equipment work. Clicking on "Acorn User Videos" from the Acorn page shows a list of videos that show how to use the Acorn. Going on YouTube and searching "Marty CNC" brings up Marty's channel with a comprehensive list of how-to videos. Searching "Gary Campbell CNC" brings up Gary's channel and his expertly produced videos. (Gary and I go back decades to my Shopbot days when I constantly used his advice to solve my problems.) Clicking on "Centroid CNCKeith" brings up Keith's videos. His knowledge and easy-going style should make anyone comfortable in trying an Acorn. One of his videos was with "MecTechMike". Mike's mill and lathe conversions should impress everyone. He surely impressed me and gave me ideas that will take at least a year to try. There are many, many others who have taken the time to post videos showing how they use the Acorn and other Centroid products.
The forum is invaluable. Questions are answered expertly (in most cases). Since I tend to be disruptive in some of my posts (unintentionally - I like to think outside the box and try things that might seem to be controversial), I expected harsh feedback or even censoring, but I've been treated with respect and courtesy. More, importantly, by reading what others are doing, I get ideas that would take a life-time to implement.
Thanks Centroid and thanks to all of you in the Acorn community for your help.